Johann Jacob Schickler - Banker
Johann Jacob SchicklerBorn 1711
Berlin banker. Married to a daughter of David Splitgerber (1683-1764), the founder of the Splitgerber und Daum banking house. Schickler. Together with Friedrich Heinrich Berendes (1729-1771) he took over management of Splitgerber und Daum in 1764,1 following the death of the founder. His sons would later assume control of the company, which was renamed Gebrüder Schickler in 1795.
In the 1760s he had a country house (a campagne) on the Spree river, across from Treptow, ca. 6.5km from the center of Berlin.
- 1. Splitgerber und Daum was founded in 1712 by David Splitgerber (1683-1764) and Gottfried Adolph Daum (1679-1743). Later on, Splitgerber's son-in-law , J. J. Schickler, became a partner in the company. By 1795 the company was owned by Schickler's two sons, David (1755-1818) and Johann Ernst (1762-1801), and it changed its name to Gebrüder Schickler. In 1910 the bank, then named Gebrüder Schickler & Co. merged with Delbrück Leo & Co, and became known as Bankhaus Delbrück Schickler & Co. In 1968 the company became known as just Delbrück & Co, and in 2002 it became a part of ABN AMRO.
Boswell went to the banking firm of Splitgerber & Daum in Berlin on July 6, 1764, where he met Schickler and David Splitgerber. He described Schickler as "a fine, jolly, generous fellow", and Schickler provided him with a recommendation for City President Kircheisen, in whose house Boswell took lodgings for the main part of his stay in Berlin. He dined with Schickler on July 20.